There are lots of nice books, apps and tech that any genealogists – professional or hobbyist would be happy to receive. I’m not going to talk about those. Nope, this is the secret, insider list of things we all really want, but may be a bit reluctant to share. So, for all those who are shopping for just the right gift, for that hard to shop for family historian on your list, this post is for you!
- Tush-Cush Orthopedic Seat Cushion for all those hours you spend in front of the computer, or doing research in the library or sitting through genealogy conferences. Travels well. Be kind to your behind!
- External Battery Backup for all your smartphones, tablets, digital camera, etc. We genealogists are a very social bunch and at conferences everyone is scrambling for all the available outlets. With this handy gadget you can recharge several different types of tech toys, or just one several times. Never run out of power again!
- Computer cable lock. Secure your laptop while researching in the library or other public place. No one likes to lug their computer with them to the restroom.
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. Noisy in the library? Can’t think with all the distraction. Put these puppies on and enjoy the blissful silence. Definitely on my wish-list!
- Massage Chair. After a long day of lugging research stuff, lifting, stretching and again too much sitting, wouldn’t it be nice to come home to this? Love when RootsTech had massages offered. Chair not in the budget, then a gift certificate to a local masseuse will not go unappreciated. For those genealogy conferences or long research trips, throw this in your suitcase – you can thank me later!
- Fujitsu Scan Snap S1500. What I really want for Christmas is the high speed scanner to digitize my huge paper piles. I have a flatbed scanner, a FlipPal, and scanner apps on my iphone and ipad. I want something that will not only quickly scan all the research notes and articles I’ve gathered over the years, but it has OCR capability that allows me to tag it and save it on Evernote. Please Santa, I’ve been good this year!
- Evidence Explained PDF electronic version. The PDF version is so much lighter to carry around than the classic tome.
- RootsTech and Story@Home conference pass will be a gift that will make you a hero for sure.
- Treadmill Desk. This might be a solution for all the sitting!
I hope you find the list beneficial. When in doubt a gift card for iTunes for apps, or from your favorite genealogy book vendor will ALWAYS be a big hit.
The best gifts are the ones we give. Give some of your time to FamilySearch Indexing or serve your local genealogical society, they are always looking for good volunteers! That is a gift that truly keeps giving.